Road Tax

by Patrick Burke on April 16, 2012

in Patrick's Blog, Travel

Tax disc

Tax Disc

Do you pay road tax?

I am going to tell you that as a disabled person you can get car road tax at no cost.  It is a very easy process.  UK road tax disc can cost as much as £475 pounds and it has to be paid every year. Many people believe a car is essential, it allows you to be independent and it helps you to maintain a good quality of life.

Do you have a Blue Badge?

Do you own a car? Are you entitled to a blue badge? Do you have exemption from road tax for your car?

I have looked at the tax discs of lots of cars parked in disabled spaces at the local supermarket and I am always surprised at the number of cars that are paying the road tax. Its usually at least 75% , are you one of them? The amount you have paid is shown on the tax disc.

You receive the full disability allowance

A blue badge means that you are disabled and that you receive the full disability allowance. If you are a car owner you could be exempt from road tax. Click here to find out if you could be exempt

Disabled Car Tax Exemption Certificate

I am no longer allowed to drive because of multiple sclerosis so I am totally dependent upon my wife and other people taking me to places that are beyond the range of my mobility scooter. In order to receive physiotherapy from the local MS clinic I have to be taken by car. When I play bridge I am totally reliant upon other people giving me lifts. Public transport is no use in either of these cases

Tax your car using your disabled tax exemption certificate

If you look at the government website for taxing a vehicle there is a section for disabled people and it states ‘Tax your car using your disabled tax exemption certificate ‘. If you would like to go to that page of the internet click here It explains requirements to get a free tax disc for you car.

This is another opportunity for a disabled person to save money. No one has ever sat me down and said that as a disabled person there are several ways that you can save money. All the tips that are shown on this website I have discovered for myself, please take advantage of them. Look on my website page Help and Advice. Now place the cursor over ‘Help and Advice’ menu tab, a sub menu is shown, take your pick. ‘Products Used Outside’ > ‘Travel & Savings’ has tips and help for  easy ways that you can save money.

Did you know

Road tax used to be known as Vehicle Excise Duty but almost no one uses this term any more.

The tax is now based on gas emissions and not the cc of the engine unless the car was registered before 1 March 2001.

Velology is the study and collection of tax discs.

Did you spot that there was no charge for the Polo road tax certificate shown above?

Related Articles

London Congestion Charges

Disabled Persons Rail Card

Motability and Mobility Scooters

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

A. Gupta January 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Hi. Patrick – really useful information. I was curious to know about the other useful stuff which you refer to in your article but the link appears to be broken. Please could you send me a link to your website. With very many thanks in advance. Ambuj. 0777 554 3300


Patrick January 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I have made corrections to this page. You are bound to find some more glitches.

I only open a new tab when linking to an external website. If linking to another page on same web-site ( then I stay on the same tab. Hit <- to get to previous page. Apparently that is the convention.

I hope that makes sense.


Jim Barratt February 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hi Patrick

You mention that you have looked at the tax discs of lots of cars parked in disabled spaces at the local supermarket and you are always surprised at the number of cars that are paying the road tax. Its usually at least 75% , and you ask are you one of them? The amount you have paid is shown on the tax disc. As you say, a blue badge means that you are disabled and that you receive the full disability allowance. If you are a car owner you could be exempt from road tax !

However, if you are a one car family with two (or more) drivers of the same car then a fully paid tax disc is required so that the non-blue badge holders can still drive in their own right. This is particularly galling where it is just man and wife and they each have their own driving needs but the badge holder is not allowed to take advantage of his/her entitlement. Is this a form of discrimination?

Jim Barratt


debs March 21, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thankyou so much for this comment i have been looking all over for the answer to this query. My hubi is disabled and I am learning to drive and was wonddering if we could still get free car tax when I start to drive. Seems not ! I can see this is gonna be way too expensive for us.


sheila reed February 27, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hi Patrick

You do not mention that you have to have the disabled entitlement before the age of 65. after this it is called attendance allowance. even though my father is 99 and very disabled and can’t walk he cannot get a free tax disc as it is called attendance allowance as he was over 65 when he first claimed for help. I think this is very discrimatory against elderly people who have become disabled in later life. perhaps you could mention this in your web-site.
Regards Sheila


sheila reed February 27, 2013 at 11:26 am

I forgot this. Even if you have a blue badge it does not mean that you recive disability allowance if you claimed over the age of 65. they call it attendance alowance to wrigle out of giving the free tax disc


Patrick March 4, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I have done a bit of research into this. I agree the system is not terribly fair. Rather than answer the questions I will point you to a couple of websites that should answer your questions.
The first one is Money Expert and here is the URL
2 important points
1) Attendance Allowance is claimable by those over 65 years old. It has only a care component, it has no mobility component.

2) DLA, which has both care and mobility components can only be claimed by those under 65. However if you already receive it, you can carry on receiving it after 65years old providing the claimants needs stay the same.

The other one is very comprehensive. It is put together by the Doncaster disability advisory service

I think this will answer your questions and anything else along the same line

Hope this helps,


Rachael March 5, 2013 at 5:54 am


I don’t really understand why you have written this article when you don’t know what you’re talking about. A Blue Badge does NOT mean you are receiving any sort of benefit or allowance. Here are some facts to clear things up;

* You can get a Blue Badge at any age and you do not need to be on any benefits. You apply for it on its own.
* The reason most car with Blue Badges don’t have Disabled tax discs is because they don’t receive the relevant benefit, they received the badge on an assessment basis.
* If you get the high rate Mobility part of Disability Living Allowance (Or War Pensioner’s Mobility) you are entitled to a Blue Badge and free tax. This is the only way you can get free tax.
* If you get DLA before 65 you will continue to receive it, but you cannot claim after 65. You can instead claim Attendance Allowance. This is not unfair at all towards the elderly because you can still get a Blue Badge, and DLA is granted for disabilities you endured not as a result of aging. Attendance Allowance is to accommodate your needs as you age.


Patrick March 5, 2013 at 7:49 pm


I have published the response shown above because I feel that all comments should be published. This is an area where the legislation is complicated and it is also easy to feel aggrieved. For example not being disabled until you are older than 65.

The fairest way for me to go forward is to let you read the original article, and the two website articles.
If you want to risk being thoroughly confused then read the comments


Name March 14, 2013 at 5:57 pm


I am buying new car and guy who is selling it said he will sell it with a road tax for full year , i think he said sth about disabled owner etc. He wanted to do it by himself because i believe he can get it cheapier than i would if i pay by myself. But please let me know if i buy this car with a road taxi even if he do it with a disabled person or sth , can i drive it later with this car when i buy it after he bought road tax to it ?



Patrick March 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I’m not entirely sure that I fully understand the comment. You either pay the full price for a tax disc or if you can prove that the vehicle is for the exclusive use of disabled person then you do not have to pay for a road tax disc. If exchanging full tax disc for a disabled tax disc then refund available for the complete number of outstanding months



ian June 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm

….hi,anyone know if you can apply for free road tax for 2 cars under disabled criteria.?..I am registered owner of 2 vehicles,thanks in advance


Patrick June 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm

The wording would indicate that only 1 car can get road tax exemption if you are disabled


mark collins November 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm

hi can you help? my dad has a motability car which he uses not all the time, as i run him around alot to hospital and doctors and alike he was told that he could claim a free tax disc for my car?? is this true??



Patrick November 20, 2013 at 8:49 pm

A car bought through Motobiity should already be taxed and insured, that is part of the deal. I have checked on the website and all you have to worry about is actually driving it.

I think the website will answer all of your questions


John Shelton March 10, 2014 at 8:36 am

When the tax disk is done away with how will parking wardens know that my car is tax exempt? Thus allowing me to park for 2 hours with my blue badge but pay for 1 hour, when if only having a blue badge I would need to pay for each hour I park.


Patrick March 11, 2014 at 10:05 am

I don’t think you will need to worry. Transfering it from paper to computer and I’m that sure problem will be considered, at least I hope so.


Baz August 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Hi my wife car is taxed as disabled,.and I’ve just got car on mobility!is my wife car still available on free tax ? Many thanks


Patrick Burke August 11, 2014 at 11:16 pm


As far as I understand things then yes your wife’s car is still exempt from road tax.



Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: