Brothels for disabled people
It doesn’t have to be just about sexual activity, sometimes building confidence is just as important
There was a time when people would not consider having a sexual relationship with someone with a physical disability. In 2008, an Observer survey found that 70% of people would not consider having a sexual relationship with someone who has a physical disability.
Perceptions have changed
- FHM magazine revealed its three sexiest female Paralympians.
- Sarah Storey a successful paralympian who is married revealed her first pregnancy
- Channel 4 screened its first series of a dating show
- Hollywood film The Sessions tells the story of a man paralyzed by polio who visits a sex therapist.
- Former madam Becky Adams revealed to the media that she wants to open an accessible brothel for disabled clients in England
- Para-Doxies was set up.
People are now starting to realise that a disabled person often has the same needs and desires as an able person. In the 1990s there was absolutely no recognition that disabled people had romantic or sexual feelings. Para-doxies, based in and around Milton Keynes is a sexual enabling service for men and women with a permanent injury, a disability or terminal illness in the UK.
Disabled people should be allowed to form romantic and sexual relationships for themselves,
just like anyone else, whether these are with other disabled people or not. A disabled soldier will have the same desires.
Things have changed enormously. People now realise that the disabled need to feel confident, have a relationship. People can suddenly become disabled, for example soldiers, or people in a car crash but they will still have the same needs. Disability is a very traumatic experience, lets make the life of a disabled person that little bit life easier.
Read the full article in the Independent
The Para-Doxies website
A dynamic club for disabled people determined to enjoy their lives to the full, Outsiders