At Night I Can’t Just Fall Into Bed
It’s the evening, I’m tired and its bedtime but at night I can’t just fall into bed. I have to go through a ritual every evening before I can get into bed and start reading my book. Getting undressed and removing my FES is quite a palaver. If I do this standing up I’m guaranteed to fall over; so everything must be done sitting down.
At night I can’t just fall into bed
Taking off my trousers is not easy when my left leg will not cooperate. My left trouser leg always ends up inside out. I perch on the side of the bed and push the trousers to my left ankle but funding a way to get my left leg out of this item of clothing is a different proposition altogether.
Its not an easy task. Quite simply I’m not flexible enough to lift my left leg onto my right knee and gently remove the trousers. The only way is to put my right foot on the trouser leg and hoik my leg out. Oh the wonders of leg drop and foot drop.
Remove the FES
I now remove the surgical tape (ouch 🙁 ) and the wires for my FES from the electrodes, that’s easy. Now comes a tricky moment. I must now lurch, stagger or stumble through to the bathroom. Will I fall over? Bad balance and a left foot that will not lift off the ground make this an awkward operation.
Why do I put myself through this?
- I must always take the FES electrodes off at night.
- Rinse the electrodes to re hydrate them by gently rubbing the silicon under running water.
- Make sure electrodes are stored on a plastic backing sheet and then placed in a sealed plastic bag when they are not in use. This helps to stop them drying out.
- Clean my teeth, mouth feels better but sometimes I almost lose my balance when I unexpectedly lurch backwards.
- Finally I must get back to the bedroom.
- Remember to take my pills that ensure I sleep well.
I would not dream of trying to do this when I have had one glass too many of wine, would you?
The days of being able to toddle upstairs and flop into bed are but a distant memory. I think the last time was 15th December 2014, over eight months ago. My first day with the FES was 16th December. I did not understand the consequences of having this device.
Is this ritual worthwhile?
The FES is a game changer so it’s definitely worthwhile. I just wish a way could be found to make it easier to get through this ritual and fall into bed but I must not complain.